Welcome to Year 4 for Summer 1 term everyone!
Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome to our last term in Year 4. The Summer term is often a favourite, with Sports Day and the Year 6 production to enjoy.
Last term, Year 4 particularly enjoyed learning all about the Stuarts and produced some brilliant newspaper reports about the infamous Gunpowder Plot. In Computing, we were impressed with how quickly everyone took to spreadsheets, editing the colour and contents of different cells. This term we will perform calculations in a spreadsheet.
In English, we are going to start by reading and retelling the classic story, ‘Charlotte’s Webb’. Then we will move on to writing persuasive texts and explanation texts (linked to our Science topics).
We are going to continue our study of decimals: comparing, ordering and rounding numbers with two decimal places. Then we will look at money and time.
In the summer term, Year 4 children across the country sit a times table test. It is an online test that consists of 25 questions to see which times table facts they can recall. For each question there is a time limit of 6 seconds. Practise makes perfect! To prepare your child for this, they need to go on Times Table Rock stars every day. Check your child knows their login details and ask us if not.
Our PE days are Wednesday and Friday, as well as bonus physical activity or Walkabout Wednesdays on the other days of the week.
Please ensure children have full PE kit in school every day. It should only be taken home at the end of each half term.
This half term in Science we are learning all about living solids, liquids and gases, as well as changing states of matter.
The school focus for this half term is ' Time Travelling' and we are going to study 18th Century Georgian London and the growth of England as the centre of the British Empire.
This term’s topic is trade, focusing on trade links, distribution of natural resources, and what makes trade ‘fair’. We will explore ‘bean to bar’.
In RE, we are going to look at Worship, including what happens in different Christian services and how church buildings can differ.
Art and Design
This half term, we are going to use hatching and cross hatching to show tone and texture and use rollers to print.
We are going to look at structure and a modern composer.
In Athletics, we will develop our understanding of shot put and high jump.
Reminder about key expectations:
- Year 4 arrive in school at 8:10-20am
- Year 4 are collected at 4:20pm
- School learning starts at 8:30am.
- Everyone needs to wear the new school uniform, including smart black shoes. No trainers.
- No jewellery except for watches and small stud earrings.
- PE kit must include appropriate footwear and be kept in school. Please ensure every item of clothing is labelled.
- New PE days: Mondays and Fridays
- Strings lessons are on Tuesdays for 4D; Thursdays for 4L
- Each week we set homework to consolidate current learning and to revise previous topics taught. Homework will be on Purple Mash, Mathletics & Times Table Rockstars. Daily reading and handwriting practice are essential as well. Spelling tests usually happen on Mondays - the words are also found on the Year 4 Homework Blog on Purple Mash.