Welcome to Year 4 for Summer 2 term everyone!
Dear Parents and Carers,
Welcome to our final half term in Year 4. With the weather turning warmer, please remember water bottles and sun cream! We are also planning trips - watch this space for more details.
Last term, we studied time in Maths. This is a perfect topic for parents to help at home! Encourage your child to tell the time throughout the day. We also learnt some helpful tips for remembering how many days are in each month. Keep testing each other until it sticks!
In English, we are going to start by reading ‘Journey to Jo’burg’ by Beverley Naidoo. We will describe characters, settings and key moments from this moving story. Focus AP sentences for the term include ‘if, if, if, then’ and ‘the more, the more’.
We are going to start with a Statistics unit, looking at pictograms, bar charts and line graphs. Then we move onto Geometry: properties of shapes, angles and co-ordinates.
In the summer term, Year 4 children across the country sit a times table test. It is an online test that consists of 25 questions to see which times table facts they can recall. For each question there is a time limit of 6 seconds. Practise makes perfect! To prepare your child for this, they need to go on Times Table Rock stars every day. Check your child knows their login details and ask us if not.
In Athletics, we are going to develop our accuracy and power with shots to win points.
Please ensure children have full PE kit in school every day. It should only be taken home at the end of each half term.
We are learning all about sound, including volume, pitch and how the auditory system works.
We are going to study the role of trade in the expansion of the British Empire in the 1700s. We are going to look at the Battle of Quebec and the importance of the Royal Navy.
The school focus for this half term is ‘Geographical Skills and Fieldwork' and we are focusing land use, particularly in London. We will look at how the Docklands have changed over time.
In RE, we are going to examine the big question ‘How do I change?’ This will focus on Christian ideas of sanctification and being ‘born again’.
Art and Design
This half term, we are going to sculpt using clay and mouldable materials.
We are going to look at a romantic composer.
Reminder about key expectations:
- Year 4 still arrive in school 8:10-8:20am
- Year 4 are now collected at 3:35pm unless they are invited to boosters
- School learning starts at 8:30am.
- Everyone needs to wear the new school uniform, including smart black shoes. No trainers.
- No jewellery except for watches and small stud ear rings.
- PE kit must include appropriate footwear and be kept in school. Please ensure every item of clothing is labelled.
- Strings lessons are on Tuesdays for 4D and Thursdays for 4L
- PE Days have changed! 4L: Monday and Friday, 4D: Thursday and Friday
- Each week we set homework to consolidate current learning and to revise previous topics taught. Homework will be on Purple Mash, Mathletics & Times Table Rockstars. Daily reading and handwriting practice are essential as well. Spelling tests usually happen on Mondays - the words are also found on the Year 4 Homework Blog on Purple Mash.