Teaching & Learning
Harris Primary Academy Philip Lane provides an exciting, personalised learning curriculum, which supports and challenges all of our students and is at the heart of our teaching and learning philosophy. We ensure that all teaching and support staff have access to the highest quality training programmes to provide the most innovative and cutting edge learning opportunities for every pupil.
At HPAPL we aim to uphold the importance of ‘acceptance and engagement with the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs; the pupils develop and demonstrate skills and attitudes that will allow them to participate fully in and contribute positively to life in modern Britain’ as laid out in the Ofsted Schools Inspections Handbook, 2015.
For further information about individual subjects, homework and how we assess pupil learning and progress, please visit our dedicated Curriculum area where you will be able to view our curriculum overviews. These show the learning for 2016-17 in each subject for each year group.
The Academy aims to:
- Meet the needs and aspirations of all children
- Ensure all pupils can successfully access a broad curriculum, making any reasonable adjustments required where particular needs are identified
- Recognise high achieving pupils and ensure they are given opportunities to stretch and challenge their learning
- Plan opportunities for pupils to develop their personal potential
- Establish an agreed range of policies and practices to guarantee a consistent approach towards learning and teaching in every classroom
- Involve all staff in developing and improving the quality of learning and teaching
- Provide all staff with developmental opportunities to extend and enhance their range of teaching and repertoires
- Develop staff to deliver skills beyond their own subject specialism and incorporate cross curricular initiatives, in particular English, mathematics and arts education (art, dance, drama and music)
- Identify students’ achievements and areas for improvement, through rigorous monitoring of progress and to plan appropriate interventions to enhance their learning.
The suite of policies attached provide further details on how the academy support and progress the aims outlined above.